Monday, February 14, 2011

Personhood and authenticity

In Parkin’s article Mementoes as Transitional Objects in Human Displacement examines how objects are able to extended and create personhood for a diaspora. Therefore the movement of people is associated to the objects that person was able to take with them. It is important to note that the objects chosen to travel are dependent on the type of movement: normal calmed, or traumatic, forced, unexpected. As Parkin notes transnational objects can be for immediate use only (money, food) or objects that will help in rebuilding an identity in the host country. Parkin focuses on the transnational objects of traumatized diasporas, as he explains the objects that they were able to take are reminders of who they were before displacement. In some cases when the displaced person cannot trust anyone they “inscribe their sense of a personal future and identity in whatever remains to hand of impersonal physical, mental and bodily bricolage: to invest emotionally, in other words, in accessible objects, ideas and dreams rather than in the living people around one.”(Parkin 1990: 308).

The Rains article Celtic Kitsch: Irish-America and Irish Material Culture focused on the material culture of tourism and the importance of authenticity of objects. Tourist feel if they buy something from their trip that they will have a connection to Ireland even if these souvenirs are massed produce and over play the culture of Ireland (shamrocks, harps). I see these souvenirs as a way tourist and visitors want to redefine themselves in similar ways that displaced diasporas use objects for re-personalitization in the new country.

Although Parkin claims that mementos extended and create personhood he really does not explain how it occurs, which objects or so. I think to fully understand his point he should had given more example of the objects that created that personhood a particular diaspora.

My memento is a necklace that my grandmother bought in Mexico and then upon her passing became part of the family. I became attached to it, to the point I hid it because I decided it should only be used for very special occasions. A couple months ago my mother wore it, which made me realize: why should I hide a part of a memory of someone that means so much to me? I guess I was afraid of losing it, or it lose it’s meaning if I use it regularly. Now I think I should wear this necklace because of the distinct individuality I get by wearing it; I also want that constant reminder of my grandmother, which is insured when I wear the necklace.

1.Rains explains that objects must be standardized to represent something… are heirlooms a production of our own standardization of objects or they already been standardized in the society?

2.Parkin mentions Thomas says exchange of object creates personhood, is this creation of personhood based on the social network created by the exchange? Or what does he mean?

3. I’m curious… what would be the object that you would take in a case of forceful displacement that you think would create personhood or reestablish your identity in a new country?

5 comments:

  1. Cat,

    1) I think heirlooms can be standardized at different levels. First, they can be standardized at a broad level by society such as a publicly accepted norm. Secondly, we standardize the object based on how we see it and what we want it to represent. So I think it can be either or both.

    3) I would take items that represent me culturally, and is able to identify me easily. I love anything artsy, social, cultural, and intelligent. I'd bring a few books, computer, favourite pieces of clothing/accessories, drawing pad, and maybe even bring along some of my favourite snacks and keep the packaging to look at later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cat,

    i think your reading of Rains is accurate, (the reconstruction of identity through this link to a different place, enacted by the purchasing of objects signifying that identity). When reading the piece, I couldn't help but consider whether this situation is particularly salient for the Irish-American 'diaspora,' given the emphasis in the US on heritage, into the melting pot, and the size of the flow of Irish to the country. Do you think this is the case?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi cat,

    well to answer your last question is difficult, because to re-establish identity would mean that the object would probably represent me already. I can't really think of something that can do that by itself... I guess I like to think of myself as slightly more complex than simply being able to be represented by one thing... but it would probably have to be my Chai pendant. As religion and faith seem to weave itself into my identity all the time, so perhaps this would be the most useful thing to have with me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Neil,

    I don't think re-establish identity necessary means the object would probably represent you already. Like what Albi suggested in her answer, it can be something that identifies you. (may it be something you like?...) Personally, I think object that re-establishes identity starts from myself. It'll be myself taking an object to identify a part of myself. But I do agree there won't be one thing to represent yourself because there are different facets of ourselves.

    I'd probably bring a keyboard because I love music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Neil,

    I don't think re-establish identity necessary means the object would probably represent you already. Like what Albi suggested in her answer, it can be something that identifies you. (may it be something you like?...) Personally, I think object that re-establishes identity starts from myself. It'll be myself taking an object to identify a part of myself. But I do agree there won't be one thing to represent yourself because there are different facets of ourselves.

    I'd probably bring a keyboard because I love music.

    ReplyDelete