Monday, February 14, 2011

Keepsakes, souvenirs and pointless stuff


The ideas in both the Parkin’s piece as well as the Rains’ article are expressive of nostalgia and memento, and how these two attribute to objects that represent places, people and experiences. As we’ve come to see, remembering and re living through the stuff we have around us is quite complicated. Parkin seems to paint a very simple picture, however. The example of immigrants remembering a land, time and place from which they’ve come to transfer in an object is a direct and simple example for us to think of. These transitional objects are often more than just representations, rather they also act as agents to create and form personas and ideas about people and places. The idea of object agency comes into play here in a way previously not described in prior texts. Parkin also speaks to the importance of shorterm (imidiate) objects and those that might be long term “staples” in one’s transition and eventually, their new life. These long term objects can be major facilitators in the shaping of identity and personas within the context of new life experiences, for they not only remind the person from what they came from, but ground them in comfort and memory of the familiar. Investments into these objects begin to take place based on the needs of the individual. Rain likens this to the experience of mementos, and the importance of authenticity in the example of tourists in Ireland. When procuring souvenirs, one usually stops and questions the origin of the object, as if where and by whom it was made plays an all important role in how that object shapes the memory attached to it. This is the same for the transitional object, as it comes from something authentic. Just as an object can gain an investment from the individual, sometimes replacing relationships and filling a void in lack of trust, souvenirs act as nostalgia, bringing, say, the tourist back to a place and experience, not necessarily their own, but of something “authentically produced.” I found both pieces to be quite illuminating and simple (and I use simple as marker for easy understanding, not underdeveloped). Parkin and Rain speak on what we’ve been discussing at length in class, but I feel like this is a synthesized way of putting it.  

My memento is a watch given (I begged for it actually) to me by my aunt. It was her first luxury item she bought when she began running Republic National Bank of New York in 1989, the year I was born. It represents a time when all things were well with our family, and it conjures memories of power and perseverance, as she was the only female executive of a private bank in North America. This watch IS why I wanted to be an investment banker, as it painted a world of fast paced excitement and prosperity. Coming from a mixed race background, this watch instilled in me that I could be accepted by the white upper class kids I was surrounded with. It represented privilege. It carries with it trust and happiness, just as Parkin mentions in his text.

Question #1: How does one configure objects into the framework of lifestyle outside of the “obvious” expensive means better? I mean to say, we value objects not only based on what they mean to us, but what of those people who value simply on cost?

Question #2: Materialism plays a big part in clothing, and I think most of us have that “I can’t go without it” garment in our closet, but what of all the other stuff? Why did you buy it in the first place other than because you needed clothes to wear… how important were they at the time?   

4 comments:

  1. Hi Neil
    Q2: well i have a little shopaholic issue, so i will try to get as much stuff without completely going broke. Also at the time of a purchase the certain object was important because it was in fashion also depending on the season i will want sandals or not. Lastly that object was important at the time depending on how much it cost, if its a good deal i will buy it even if i know i will only use it a few times...maybe its just my impulsive behavior

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neil,
    Regarding to your second question, I think that fashion trend plays a big part to it. We buy things because we think that they are fashionable and buy wearing or having them, we feel superior to not just everyone else but to ourselves. I guess that an object especially luxury stuff has its economic values and social stauts attached to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neil,

    I think we buy the 'other' things at the time because we all give in to what is trendy (as Ly said above too). We are all stylish to a point where we want to be known amongst a certain class or group, but still find individuality within the way we style ourselves. For myself, I have all the other items in my closet because of how I can set myself apart or use in the future (keep options open). Remember when the arab scarves around the neck first swept across as a trend? That was at a specific time, but something like a bracelet or watch that can be outfitted later on (without spending an unnecessary amount) can usually be bought too. I kind of think about where I AM, and where I want TO BE when it comes to items I purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, if I purchase something that isn't necessarily needed at the time, I would question whether or not if it is 'timeless'...like a good pair of Levis jeans...things like these don't really 'age'

    ReplyDelete