Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Reflections of the Maharaja Exhibit

To be honest one of the main reasons why I was exited to see the Maharaja exhibit was to see the diamonds and the pearls. After hearing the story behind the iconic necklace and seeing photographs I had to see them in person; I was not disappointed they were stunning.

After seeing the beautiful jewelry my attention was focused on people that were visiting the exhibit and their reaction to these objects. Usually the reaction I perceived was of awed and from class mat we would wonder the monetary value of the objects. I did notice a number of families that seemed to be from an East Indian decent, and a number of men wearing Dastars. Then I guess to some extend aim to foster and promote East Indian culture worked. From the following encounter I would perceive this Maharaja exhibit was one of pride: one individual upon seeing the Maharaja Ranjit Singh's throne said jokingly, something along the lines “baby’s chair” or something related to its size. Then a man quickly corrected the person firmly “it’s the Ranjit Singh's throne”. From previous readings about museums cultivating culture I understand how in the Maharaja exhibit they provide national pride, and a presentation of India’s wealth… but how can this be if these objects don’t even belong to India? They belong to the English in the Victoria and Albert Museum, does it matter to whom they belong to? Or what really should matter is their existence and the goal to preserve them?

Also what is our aim in studying museums? To repatriate? Learning history? Just what are we trying to accomplish?

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm Thanks for this short and sweet reflection that you've written.

    May I ask why you questioned if the objects belong to India? I thought all of them belong to India in the first place!

    I think our aim in studying museum is to give another perspective on top of our personal perspective to expand our understanding of seeing objects. It is also through learning history then we understand how words can be used more effectively to bring peace and connection between the ethnic community and their past history.

    Interesting perspective and questioning, thanks!

    ReplyDelete